meta data for this page
The same way students go to a physical Sign-in Station and swipe their cards and/or type their ID they can now do it BUT using their own computers/tablet/phones connected to the Internet, in this wiki we describe how an administrator or a tutor(if given permissions) can create a Url Link that can be distributed to their students/participants, this link when clicked acts as a virtual room where students will sign-in and enter their sessions.
For this remote sign-in process to work first it needs to be enabled at the college level, this feature can also be enabled/disabled at the center level so if a center opts for not enabling this then the center will not show as an option when creating the link as will be explained below. Administrators are allowed to create remote sign-in stations by default whereas tutors are not allowed to do so by default but can be granted the appropriate permits if required.
- To enable or disable the feature please click Administration→Control Panel:
- Open “Virtual Session” module and select the college scope:
- Scroll down and enable the option “Enable virtual session options for administrators” (if it is unchecked), in this same screen you can enable the same feature for Tutors by also checking the option “Allow tutors/advisors to create a sign-in link for remote sessions”:
- Click Save Changes in the top right corner:
Creating Sign-in Links
After checking and updating all pre-requisites in the previous chapter, now we are going to explain how to create the Links.
- After checking that the pre-requisites are in good order lets see how to use this feature, please select Center Attendance → Virtual Sign-In:
- In this screen the users can watch a video about this feature and read some information about it, then please click the button “Create Link” when ready:
- Please select the Center for the online session (only those centers where this feature is enabled will be shown). In this case, the “Skills & Tutoring center” is selected.
- Next, we are going to set up the Virtual Sign-in options. Please follow all steps using the explanations provided:
- In Section 1, the administrator/tutor will set the instructions for the students to see before starting the sign-in process.
- In Section 2, set the default options for Service, Subject Area, Tutor, and Instructor as needed.
- In Section 3:
- Please enter the instructions that will be shown to the students after signing-in.
- If you want to use the URL configured in the Tutor User information then enable the option “Use Tutor Connect Links when Available”, however, if you want to specify a different URL for the online session please put the new URL in the “Connect Link” field shown below (and make sure the option “Use Tutor Connect Links when Available” is disabled).
- Enable the option “Allow students to join while in the waiting line” if you prefer that students can join while in the waiting line.
- Set an expiration time for the link(this is very important to prevent users from interfering in someone else's sessions using old links).
- Your session link will be shown in the next screen, please copy and distribute this link as needed: