meta data for this page
How to Access: Advanced Options > Settings > Beacons
Purpose: One of the sign-in options within AccuCampus is the use of Beacons. Beacons allow students to sign-in via the mobile app and can be used for centers, classrooms, or events. They are especially ideal for situations where there isn’t the ability to set up a traditional sign-in station, such as multi-entry locations or events.
Beacon Profiles Page Options
The first step in utilizing beacons is to set up a Beacon Profile. The Beacon Profile tells you what the beacon will do, and defines the broadcast settings for the beacon.
- Create Beacon Profile - Please click this button to create a Beacon Profile, it tells you what the beacon will do, and defines the broadcast settings for the beacon.
- Manage Beacon Region - Please click this button to manage Beacon Regions.
- Enable/Disable Beacon Support - This option allows to enable/disable Beacon Support.
Beacon Profile List Options
Please notice that on the right-hand side of each row(restriction) there is a button:
- Delete - Please click this button to erase this current Beacon Profile.
Create new Beacon Profile
This is the new/edit Beacon Profile screen, please check thoroughly all options and click SAVE. The first step in utilizing beacons is to set up a Beacon Profile. The Beacon Profile tells you what the beacon will do, and defines the broadcast settings for the beacon.
- Name - Enter a Name for the beacon. We recommend using a unique and specific name so that other users will understand what the beacon is for.
- Description - Enter a Description for the beacon. We recommend using a detailed description of what the beacon will be used for.
- Usage - Please choose the Usage of the beacon. There are two options: Sign-In Stations: used for signing in or out of courses, centers, or events. All beacon profiles for sign-in stations will share the same region. OR Silent Tracking: used to track traffic in an area. No specific details are captured. Every beacon profile for silent tracking must define its own region.
- Active - The beacon profile must be active in order for the profile to be assigned to a sign-in station.
- Region ID - If using the beacon as a sign-in station, do not edit. If using the beacon for silent tracking, either enter a unique identifier or leave this blank for one to be automatically generated.
- Major # - Choose a number between 0 and 65535. This number cannot match another beacon’s profile.
- Minor # - Choose a number between 0 and 65535. This number cannot match another beacon’s profile.
- Password - if desired, enter a password for this beacon profile. In order to associate this password and profile with the beacon, you will first need to enter the default password (minew123). The beacon’s password will then change to the password set here.
- Transmission power - Choose the transmission range for the beacon. This determines how close a user needs to be to the beacon to connect to it. Larger transmission powers will affect battery life.
- Broadcasting interval - The default value is 900 milliseconds. Changing this can affect battery life.
- SAVE BUTTON - Please click this option to save the configuration.
- CANCEL BUTTON - Please click this option to cancel and rollback without saving.
Manage Beacons Region
From the main Beacons page in Advanced Options, you can set the beacon range for all beacons used for sign-in stations clicking in “Manage Beacons Region”.
Disable Beacon Support
From the main Beacons page in Advanced Options, you can disable beacon support completely. This means that beacons will not be able to be used on your AccuCampus account.
Assigning the beacon to a Sign-in Station
Once the Beacon Profile is set up, you will need to assign it to an already created sign-in station.
From the Main Sidebar, hover over Center Visits and click on Sign-in Stations:
Click the Sign-in Station that you want to assign the beacon to edit it.
In the Sign-in Station data go to the Beacon Integration section and enable it, now select the beacon profile from the list and save all changes.
Assigning the beacon profile to the beacon using the AccuCampus App
The last step in setting up beacons is to assign the beacon profile to the beacon using the mobile app.
First, open the AccuCampus app from your smartphone device and log in as an administrator. (Note: Make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your phone.) From the app home screen, tap on the tri-bar to expand the side menu.
Scroll down to sign-station. Choose Beacons Setup.
Tap on the gear icon on the upper right side.
Tap Assign Beacon Profile.
Select the beacon or beacons you wish to use and tap Done.
Select the beacon profile you wish to assign
Enter the beacon password and tap continue. A message will appear at the top confirming that the beacon was properly set. If this is a brand new beacon, the password will be minew123. If the beacon has been used for another sign-in station, and that sign-in station beacon profile had a password, you will need to enter that password instead. Once a password is assigned to a beacon via a beacon profile that becomes the new password for the beacon going forward.
Please try it several times to see if it works.